The Oblate Sisters of St. Francis de Sales set Mount Aviat Academy apart from other schools. With their very lives, our Sisters witness to God's faithfulness and inspire us to be all that God wants us to be. Our school resonates with the teachings and charism of St. Francis de Sales: an awareness of God's presence throughout our school and a deep respect for one another as God's children.
An order that would grow to serve on four continents and nine countries throughout the world, the Oblate Sisters of St. Francis de Sales were founded in 1866 by Fr. Louis Brisson and St. Leonie Aviat in Troyes, France. Their work originally centered on the young women flocking to big cities during the Industrial Revolution in search of employment. Separated from their families, these young women had physical, as well as spiritual needs. The Oblate Sisters followed God's call and sought to meet those needs.
From Troyes, France our Sisters spread throughout Europe, Africa, Latin America and finally, the United States. They operate missions, schools, orphanages and retirement homes all over the globe. They teach in parish religious education programs, visit the sick and elderly, and minister to the poor. Today Oblate Sisters serve in France, Switzerland, Austria, Germany, Italy, Namibia, South Africa, Ecuador, Colombia and the United States - but most importantly to us, in Childs, Maryland. Where ever the Oblate Sisters of St. Francis de Sales reside, they strive to Live Jesus and draw souls closer to him in love.
- 1950 – Oblate Sisters journey from France to Childs, Maryland to begin a new ministry
- 1954 – Mount Aviat Academy kindergarten opens
- 1960-1972 – Oblate Sisters operate an all-girls’ high school and graduate nine classes
- 1969 – First Grade is added to the kindergarten program
- 1969 – 1977 – Mount Aviat Academy expands steadily, adding a new grade each year
- 1977 – First Eighth Grade graduating class
- 1979 – Mount Aviat Academy expands to include preschool
- 2010 – Accreditation from the Middle States Association of Schools
- 2014 – National Blue Ribbon School of Excellence
- 2016 – Awarded Innovations in Catholic Education by Today’s Catholic Teacher
- 2017 - Re-accreditation from the Middle States Association of Schools
- 2022 - Mount Aviat adds 3 year old preschool program
- 2023 - Mount Aviat opens new addition, the Hammond Hive; Mount Aviat’s PreK Program receives a Quality Rating of 5–the highest rating that can be achieved through Maryland EXCELS
For additional information about the Oblate Sisters of St. Francis de Sales, please visit www.oblatesisters.org.