Mount Aviat Academy in beautiful Childs, Maryland, has its roots in French soil where the Oblate Sisters of St. Francis de Sales were founded in 1866 by Fr. Louis Brisson and our namesake, St. Leonie Aviat. In 1950, with the support of their brother Oblates of St. Francis de Sales, the Oblate Sisters journeyed from France to begin a new ministry. A choice plot of land was donated to them, and in September 1954, the Sisters opened a kindergarten. In 1960, the Sisters opened Mount Aviat Academy high school for girls. After graduating nine classes of Salesian-educated young women, the girls' high school was phased out to make way for the elementary school that would become our present-day Mount Aviat Academy. In 1969, the Sisters expanded Mount Aviat's kindergarten program to include first grade. The school continued to add a grade level each year until its first proud group of eighth graders graduated in 1977. A gymnasium was added in 1978, and our Preschool opened in 1999.
Today, Mount Aviat Academy proudly serves 150 families with children from preschool age to grade eight. Our staff has grown to include a dedicated group of lay professionals sharing the Sisters' vision and benefiting from their example. We serve our graduates' children and even their grandchildren.
Throughout its history, Mount Aviat Academy has gained a merited reputation as a supportive environment where high standards in academics and conduct are maintained. Mount Aviat Academy has received a Certificate of Accreditation from the Maryland State Department of Education and is listed in its Directory of Approved Nonpublic Schools. Mount Aviat Academy was most recently re-accredited by the Middle Atlantic States Association of Schools in 2010. St. Leonie Aviat would be very, very pleased with the school in the United States that bears her name.
- Oblate Sisters of St. Francis de Sales are founded by Fr. Louis Brisson and our namesake, St. Leonie Aviat.
- 1950 Oblate Sisters travel from France and receive land to begin a new mission.
- 1952 Villa Aviat Convent is established at Childs, MD.
- 1954 Oblate Sisters' Kindergarten opens.
- 1960-1972 The Oblate Sisters operate an all-girls' high school and graduate nine classes.
- 1969 Mount Aviat Academy opens its doors to its first first-grade class.
- 1969-1977 Mount Aviat Academy expands steadily, adding a new grade each year.
- 1979 Mount Aviat Academy expands to include Preschool.
- 2010 Mount Aviat Academy celebrates its 50th anniversary!
- 2014 Mount Aviat Academy is recognized as a National Blue Ribbon School of Excellence.
Read more information About Mount Aviat Academy:
Oblate Sisters Kindergarten
MAA Elementary/Middle School
MAA High School